When a user is clicking on the ad, he is being redirected to the Campaign itself (your LP and then Offer URL) through the tracking domain of RedTrack.
Choosing which tracking domain to use is pretty similar to the case when you are choosing a domain for your website. You can always use a third-party free domain that is provided by the platform (for example, when you have made a landing page in the landing page builder), which is a default tracking domain (dedicated tracking domain) in this case. But you can also buy and use your own domain, which is equal to a custom tracking domain. Here are the key ideas that you need to know about tracking domains:
Default tracking domain pros and cons:
+ It is provided for free;
+ You don’t need to do anything. It will work from the start;
+ Has an SSL certificate;
– It is generated randomly for each user and is a third level domain. You can customize it a little bit but still, there are a lot of restrictions and the root domain remains the same.
– The root domain is the same for all users and is used by the majority of RedTrack users, and due to the variety of advertising campaigns that they are running, it may be blocked by antivirus software and ad blocking plugins.
Custom tracking domain pros and cons:
– You need to buy it;
– It does not have a certificate so you will have to buy it additionally;
– Adding a custom domain isn’t hard at all, but you will need to work for some time to set it up;
+ Custom domains look attractive and secure for users, advertising networks, antiviruses and ad block plugins.
Custom Tracking Domain for your RedTrack Account
You can associate your domains with RedTrack.io to use them for tracking links. Here is how it works:
Now, let's figure out how to obtain a custom domain from an internet domain registrar.
In order to add a custom domain to RedTrack, you will need to point your domain CNAME record to your dedicated tracking domain. It can be found here:
How to point a CNAME record in GoDaddy
1. Open your registrar website and select your domain. You will need to configure DNS settings. You will see a list of available records. Click ADD to create a new entry.
2. Select CNAME as the Record type and click SAVE
3. Fill in the required information as follows:
Host: wow (or any other you like)
Points to: put your dedicated tracking domain here
After you complete the setup, it will appear on your list of DNS records:
In our example, your custom domain in RedTrack will be wow.yourdomain.com.
To make it even easier for you, here are some video guides on setting up Custom Tracking Domain:
Add a domain to RedTrack
1. Click the Plus sign at the top of the Domains page (Tools -> Domains -> New).
2. Enter the Domain Name.
3. Specify the domain URL.
4. Specify the Root domain URL if necessary.
Root domain URL is used when your custom tracking domain is being accessed directly, without a Campaign ID.
If applied, you will be redirected to that root URL when putting the domain URL directly to the browser. Otherwise, you will see "Disabled" screen
However, you may change the link to a custom URL and control what content is being displayed upon clicking on a direct link.
5. Click Save
Custom Postback Domain
By default, your Postback links contain RedTrack dedicated tracking domain.
You can change it manually to your custom tracking domain and/or select default from the Tools>Conversion Tracking tab.
Note: The domain does not affect conversions tracking with your Affiliate Network if you are using S2S option: leave our dedicated tracking domain or set your custom domain.
If you have a pixel conversion tracking used - changing of the domain is obligatory.
All conversion tracking options are available on this page, simply turn the necessary toggle on:
Should you have any further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and our team will be happy to assist you. Happy tracking!